Clear Aligners vs Dental Braces
Choosing between Clear Aligners and traditional braces can be difficult, but it’s essential to consider factors such as age, level of correction needed, and lifestyle.
Comparison of Orthodontic Treatment Options
|Orthodontic Treatment||Clear Aligners||Traditional Braces|
|Cost||Starting at $2,899||Starting at $2,899|
|Treatment Length||6–24 months||Average treatment length of two years|
|Patient Eligibility||Suitable for limited cases||Suitable for limited, average, and complex cases|
|Instructions||Wear aligners for 20-22 hours per day, remove when eating, and brush teeth after each meal.||Brush and floss teeth thoroughly, and avoid hard or chewy foods that can damage the brackets and wires.|
Comparing Clear Aligners and Traditional Braces: Pros and Cons
Both are widely used devices that produce excellent results. Clear aligners are a discreet alternative to metal braces. Clear aligners are made from medical-grade plastic and apply pressure to teeth, guiding them to the desired position. Here are the pros and cons of Clear Aligners and traditional braces.
Braces and Clear Aligners pros and cons
Advantages of Clear Aligners:
- Appearance: Clear aligners are nearly invisible from a distance.
- Comfort: They fit flush against teeth and won’t cause cuts or discomfort.
- Ease of Brushing and Flossing: Users can remove the aligners and brush and floss normally.
- No Danger with Hard or Chewy Foods: Aligners wearers don’t need to avoid hard or chewy foods since they can remove the aligners before eating.
- Fewer Orthodontist Visits: Some patients don’t need to visit the orthodontist as frequently.
Disadvantages of Clear Aligners:
- Not for Complex Corrections: Clear aligners work best for minor straightening.
- Must Remove to Eat: Patients must remove the aligners before eating or drinking anything other than water.
- Requires Discipline: People must wear them at least 20 to 22 hours daily and must be disciplined enough to wear them for the required amount of time.
- More Tooth Brushing: Daily brushing time may double or triple.
- May Require Visible Attachments: Users who need attachments may require more consultations, and the attachments are visible through clear plastic.
Advantages of Braces:
- Works for Complex Corrections: Braces work for minor to complex cases.
- Multiple Options to Choose From: You can choose metal, behind-teeth (lingual), or ceramic braces for a more discreet appearance.
- Not Easily Removed: There's no need to remove them before eating or drinking, which makes them a low-maintenance option.
Disadvantages of Braces:
- Mouth Discomfort: They take time to get used to and often cause irritation or discomfort.
- Appearance: They are visible and not discreet.
- Difficulty Brushing and Flossing: It can be challenging to clean teeth with braces attached.
- Hard or Chewy Foods: People with braces must avoid hard and chewy foods to prevent damage or irritation.
If you're struggling to decide between clear aligners and traditional braces, consider scheduling a consultation with an orthodontist. They can help you determine the best option for your unique needs and provide more personalized information about the benefits and drawbacks of each treatment. Don't let indecision hold you back from achieving the straight, healthy smile you deserve. Book your appointment today!
We will gladly answer any questions you may have.Ask Questions
Lakeside Family Dental offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms